I am in the midst of reading this ‘alternative history science fiction/fantasy romance’ book so be sure to follow up for my review in a couple of days!
Disclosure: I received this book to review. I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own.
In an America controlled by wizards and 100 years behind on women’s rights, Beatrix Harper counts herself among the resistance—the Women’s League for the Prohibition of Magic. Then Peter Blackwell, the only wizard her town has ever produced, unexpectedly returns home and presses her into service as his assistant.
Beatrix fears he wants to undermine the League. His real purpose is far more dangerous for them both.
Subversive is the first novel in the Clandestine Magic trilogy, set in a warped 21st century that will appeal to fans of gaslamp fantasy.
What others are saying about Subversive
“Readers who enjoy fantasy stories with strong female protagonists, magical powers, intriguing political plots, and a great love story will love Subversive.” — One Book More
“A spectacular story of magic, politics, social classes, and the uncompromising need to do what you think is right.” — Bookshelf Adventures
“An exciting new series! … I found it hard to put the book down when real life came calling.” — Life in the Book Lane Reviews
About the Author
Colleen Cowley writes contemporary fantasy because, c’mon, who doesn’t secretly wish for some magic in real life?
1. “Colleen Cowley” is not my normal, everyday name. It is a family name of sorts, though.
2. In my teens, I wrote a really awful high fantasy with a portal and many other clichés. And then I took a novel-writing break that I thought would be permanent.
3. As much as I love The Hobbit, my favorite sort of fantasy is present-day. Because there’s such possibility in the idea that something magical could be happening right under your nose.
4. Regarding No. 3: After I zipped through the first four Harry Potter books and waited impatiently for the fifth, I would occasionally dream I was at Hogwarts.
5. I live with my family beside a possibly magical forest. My wardrobe, though, is perfectly ordinary.